Wiring Harness Assembly Technician
HCI Systems Ltd, a family owned company established in 2012, is one of the leading providers of high-quality electrical wiring solutions to the motorsport industry, including Formula One, and automotive arenas.
Based in Newport, Shropshire, the company has an enviable reputation based on high quality wiring harness design and manufacture for low voltage and electric vehicles as well as providing complimentary technologies such as power management systems, switch panels and bespoke electronics systems working to customer specifications.
Due to the continued success of the business both in established and new market places, HCI Systems are looking to recruit a Wiring Harness Assembly Technician to join the team and further assist the company in its growth plans.
The key functions of the role:
- To build, from a detailed drawing, wiring harnesses to a high quality and in a timely manner.
- Prototyping on car and building first harness with minimal information to specify components for volume production builds
- Assembly of simple single crimp large diameter HV cables through to the high-pressure delivery of complex and challenging Formula One harnesses
- Coordination of deliverables with colleagues
- Manage own time to achieve harness delivery targets
- Coordination with other departments, including quality and logistics, to ensure alignment on requirements and expectations
- Liaising with Internal departments and with customer to integrate Wiring harness into vehicles, defining harness routings using best practice
- Write Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) when required to guide future production builds
- Make recommendations during builds to ensure best practice and HCI Codes of Practice are followed at all times
Education / Experience / Attributes required:
- A minimum of 3 years in a similar technical environment, ideally motorsport / automotive / defence
- Apprenticeship time served and/or BTEC National Electrical Engineering or equivalent preferred
- Qualified to or ability to work towards IPC-A-620 and IPC-A-610
- Using System 25 materials and Contra-helical lay ups
- Using Automated Crimping press tools for automotive harness builds
- High Voltage cable preparation and crimping
- Experience in building complex Wiring Harnesses for motorsport to varying customer styles of designs
- Ability to read drawings and create Bills of materials for Prototype and First builds.
- Customer and quality focussed attitude
- Flexible working to allow tight deadlines to be achieved
- Good personable interfacing with internal and external customers both face to face and via phone / video.
- Comply with the Health, Safety and Environmental Policies
- Support encourage and develop team
- Proactively contribute to creating a good team atmosphere
- Anticipates and overcomes obstacles
- Makes useful links to arrive at insightful plans and solutions
- Embraces personal challenge
- Confident, rounded thinking
- Takes ownership for team cohesion
- Is resilient, optimistic and open to change
- Professional and collaborative approach to working with others
- A self-starter, motivated and able to positively motivate others
- Focused, hands on, target driven with a positive, can-do attitude
- An understanding of Microsoft products such as excel and word
- Familiarity with MRP systems
- Strong network in the motorsport, automotive, defence and aerospace industries
- IPC training
- Ability to design Electrical Wiring Harness Systems
- Team Leadership